Learn everything you need to know about vitamin D and its ability not only to fight it, but also to prevent colorectal cancer.

Vitamin D stands out as an excellent ally when it comes to fighting various diseases, so it is not surprising that it is equally capable of helping to fight colorectal cancer, which in the United States has become the second leading cause of death associated with cancer.

Which People Are Most at Risk for Developing Colorectal Cancer?

The individuals with the highest risk of developing this disease are people:

  • With a family history
  • Smokers
  • With Crohn’s disease
  • With inflammatory bowel disease or ulcerative colitis
  • Diabetics
  • Who suffer from certain genetic syndromes such as PAF or Lynch.

Similarly, the risk of developing such a condition decreases significantly in people who follow a healthy diet, especially if it has a high content of vitamin D.

With this same approach, Harvard University published a research conducted by researchers belonging to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, in which they point out that vitamin D has the ability to protect the body against colorectal cancer, as it favors the function of the immune system on cancer cells.

This research commented that individuals with high levels of vitamin D in their body have a lower risk of suffering this type of cancer.

How to obtain the necessary supply of Vitamin D?

The most practical and simple way in which it is possible to obtain the contribution of vitamin D that the organism requires through the daily diet, consists of consuming supplements; in the same way it is equally important to be exposed to sunlight in order for the organism to be able to produce the vitamin.

Foods that provide adequate content of Vitamin D

The body gets the necessary calcium from food; however, in the case of vitamin D, approximately 30% is considered to be obtained from food and the other 70% is produced by the body when exposed to the sun’s rays.

Some of the foods with the highest vitamin D content are fish and fish oil, including tuna, sardines and salmon.

Other foods that offer this vitamin are egg yolks and dairy products such as yogurt, milk, butter, cheese and cream, as well as vegetable sources such as mushrooms, wheat germ and avocados.

How to Increase Vitamin D Levels?

The organism has the capacity to obtain the contribution that it needs of vitamin D in different ways, which are:

Through food

By eating foods that have a high content of this vitamin the body can get their contribution, being some of these foods eggs, dairy, cereals, crustaceans such as oysters, fatty fish (tuna, salmon, sardines or mackerel), mushrooms, nuts (Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds or almonds), dried beans and soybeans.

By exposure to the sun’s rays

When exposed to the sun for 15-20 minutes, three times a week, it is possible to obtain the vitamin D that the body requires. There is no need for continuous exposure and there is no need for the whole body to be exposed to the sun.

Taking vitamin D supplements

By ingesting supplements of this vitamin, it is possible to obtain the required daily amount of natural vitamins such as A, C, D and E.

 

Important: An excess of vitamin D in the body could cause the intestine to absorb an immense amount of calcium and consequently generate high levels of this mineral in the blood, which would allow the development of gastrointestinal problems, kidney stones, and damage, as well as increasing the risk of episodes of disorientation and confusion.